Good Evening LvCC Families and Friends, Pastor Dave here.
One of my favorite songs is “40” by U2. It begins with, “I waited patiently for the Lord, He inclined and heard my cry. He brought me up out of the pit. Out of the mire and clay. I will sing, sing a new song…How long to sing this song?”
The song is based on Psalm 40, and I am sure many of us can relate with David as being “in the pit, in the mire and clay”. This week, I was in “the pit”. COVID-19 became personal for me. I lost a teacher, mentor, chaplain, and friend to the virus. I cried to the Lord out of hurt, loss, pain, and anger. I also cried tears of comfort, mercy, and joy knowing my the feet of my friend are firmly standing before the Lord (singing a new song). No matter where you find yourself during the current COVID-19 situation, “patiently wait for the Lord”, for he will bring us up out of the pit and we will sing again!
As we enter our third week of “church scattered”, I want to encourage and communicate to you that the ministries and missions of LvCC are hard at work! Here is what has happened over the past week…
- FISH served over 200 families providing them with food, toiletries, and other necessities.
- Deacons are caring for and serving over 30 individuals/couples in our congregation.
- Facebook Live gives us the opportunity to reach more people during Daily Prayers, Online Services, and other Live Events. For example, over 600 people watched our online service last week.
- Zoom is an online conferencing application which has allowed over 15 leadership meetings (staff, elders, deacons, youth team, small group leaders, youth, and small groups) to take place virtually.
- Children and Youth are gathering on Zoom and Facebook Live, as well as, the occasional “bag drop”. A bag drop is when a special package is delivered to the homes of the children and youth.
- The church facilities are receiving some much-needed attention. Materials which were already purchased are being installed in the bathrooms on the 2nd floor of the CE building. With ministries and meetings postponed, it is easier to work on odds and ends.
- Plus, much more…
Several of you have asked, “What can I do during the ‘stay home, stay healthy’ mandate?”
- Pray – for God’s continuous work through the ministries, missions, and people of LvCC.
- Connect – stay connected with the LvCC community via Facebook, Zoom, KLTV, emails, phone calls, and handwritten notes. It’s important during times of scattering that we stay connected to each other. If you have a question about connecting at the church, prayer request, or need assistance, please use this online connection form: https://longviewcommunitychurch.breezechms.com/form/Connections
- Share – love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, and gentleness to those around us when we must go out. (Galatians 5:22)
- Give – It is times like now the church has the greatest opportunity to share the gospel! Please pray and consider how you can share in this opportunity. You can give by sending a check to the church office or you can give online at https://longviewcommunitychurch.breezechms.com/give/online
As we enter Holy Week, here are some opportunities to be aware of…
Palm Sunday – will be held on Facebook Live at 9:30am (replayed on KLTV). After the service until 12pm, we invite you to drive/walk through the church to pick up palm branches. Tables will be placed in the chapel parking lot (Please enter via Washington Way) and church handicap lot (Please enter via Kessler). PLEASE, no parking, we want to adhere to “social distancing”!
Maundy Thursday – Phil will lead us through a reflective time on Facebook Live at 7:15pm.
Prayer Vigil – Thursday 8:30pm – Friday 8:30pm Phil will share details on how to sign up.
Good Friday – Dave will lead us through the final hours of Jesus’ life, on Facebook Live at 12pm.
Easter – Easter Service will be live streamed on Facebook Live 9:30am (replayed on KLTV).
Here is the link to our Facebook Page (make sure you “Like” and “Follow” us: https://www.facebook.com/Longview-Community-Church-109595110389321/
I want to thank all of you, for the prayers, support, and encouragement you given me, the staff and each other! As Jesus says to his disciples, “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” Now’s our time, as disciples, to share the gospel of Jesus by showing love to one another!
Keep up the faith! I am proud to be your Lead Pastor!